Sunday, October 2, 2011

Unloading

Lately, I've been completely overwhelmed with the responsibilities of having a child in the public school system. Elsie was enrolled in a school closer to our house at the beginning of the school year, but things didn't work out. I ended up having to call them and bitch them out after learning that she wasn't being given enough time to eat lunch. After the third time of calling them, I decided to put her into a different school. She is doing so much better. Flourishing, even. My hope for her is that she isn't like me as a child; very smart but unwilling to apply herself.
I have realized that doing homework with her isn't my forte. But it seems that Cory has the knack for making homework fun and interesting. I am so glad of that. I am better at playing. Many of my days include counting invisible money, riding an invisible (multi-colored) horse named Horsula, and pretending I have wings. Imaginary time was always my favorite form of playtime as a child and I (oddly) love being able to revisit those feelings in my adult life.
In 2006, after giving birth to Elsie, it was hard for me to mesh the 19 year old self and the new mother self into one person. But now, after 5 years and one more child, I find myself wondering what I did before I became a mother. I may not be as clear headed and eloquent as I was, but my life is certainly full of surprises and love. These are truly the best days of my life. I'm doing my best not to wish them all away.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, Kristen and Augusta blog and I love reading their blogs too. I look forward to reading more about your life. I am glad Elsie is in a better place and who would have guessed that Cory would be the one good with the homework??? I remember Kristen's pre-school teacher telling me to get her to play make believe more....very good for little people and big ones too :).

    ReplyDelete